Thursday, August 4, 2016

My Hugo Award picks

Thanks to a last-minute reading binge, I managed to get a fairly comprehensive Hugo Award ballot in. Here are my first preferences, links are to reviews where completed:

Best Novel - Seveneves, Neil Stephenson
Best Novella - Binti, Nnedi Okorafor
Best Novelette -  Folding Beijing, Hao Jingfang
Best Short Story - No Award
Best Related Work - No Award
Best Graphic Story - The Sandman: Overture, Neil Gaiman and JH Williams III
Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form) - Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form) - Jessica Jones: AKA Smile
Best Professional Artist - No Award
Best Semiprozine - Uncanny Magazine
Best Fanzine - File 770
Best Fan Writer - Mike Glyer
Best Fan Artist - No Award
John W Campbell Award for best new writer - Alyssa Wong
Best Editor (Long Form), Best Editor (Short Form) and Best Fancast - abstentions (I don't feel qualified to vote about editing and I don't listen to podcasts)

For the record, that's four first preferences that were part of the Rabid Puppies slate -
Seveneves, Folding Beijing, Sandman and File 770 - although none of these writers/artists/bloggers are associated with the slate organisers.

It's still (still!) another month or so to MidAmericon and the Hugo Award ceremony, so I do have time to crank out a few more reviews if the mood takes me. Certainly Seveneves deserves a write-up, as it manages to be hugely interesting in spite of considerable flaws - for me it was the best novel on the shortlist rather than necessarily the best book of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment